Monday, 22 December 2014

Healthy Breakfast Ideas


Breakfast is probably my favourite meal of the day. The possibilities are endless, and it's so easy and quick to make something tasty and nutritious. The 4 pictured above are some of my favourite options, all much more versatile than a bowl of cereal.
Read on for my recipes...


Banana Bread Pancakes
Also known as no-flour pancakes, no-sugar pancakes or protein pancakes. Basically, a healthier version of the American style recipe. I used this recipe originally but have adapted it slightly for my own taste:

1/2 cup oats
1/2 banana, mashed
1/4 cup Greek style yoghurt
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Heat a little oil or cooking spray in a frying pan over a medium heat.
Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl (I use a hand-blender as this makes the mixture nice and smooth).
Dollop large tablespoons of mixture into the pan and fry on each side for a couple of minutes (when the mixture starts to bubble, it's time to flip and fry the other side).
Serve with whatever takes your fancy! I like to drizzle with honey and serve with fruit such as banana, strawberries or blueberries.

Avocado on Toast
Avocados are super nutritious and packed with healthy fats, not to mention delicious! This recipe couldn't get much simpler:

Take one avocado, cut it in half and scrape out the inside.
Mash the avocado in a bowl and add a squeeze of lemon juice and a pinch of salt and pepper.
You can also add a few chili flakes, maybe some sliced tomato or peppers - go wild!
Spread your mashed avo onto a couple of slices of wholewheat toast and enjoy. Top with a poached egg for extra protein.

Chia Seed Pudding
The Internetz went wild for chia seeds a while back and I couldn't resist trying them out myself. Chia seed pudding is a great breakfast to prepare the night before and is perfect for adapting to your own taste, as the seeds will absorb whatever flavouring you choose to add. The basic recipe I use is:

1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup Greek style yoghurt
3 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Simply mix the ingredients in a bowl - you can leave it plain but I prefer to add a little somethin' somethin' such as honey, cocoa powder, cinnamon, ginger - you name it!
Cover with clingfilm and leave to refrigerate overnight.
By the morning, the pudding will have thickened to a tapioca-like consistency. Serve topped with something extra such as fruit, chocolate shavings or granola.

Porridge
Porridge (or oatmeal to our American pals) is one of my all-time favourite breakfasts. It's filling, healthy and super-versatile. My favourite instant porridge of the moment is Dorset Cereals Gingerbread, but I also love to make my own flavour combinations.
I'm sure I don't need to provide a recipe, but here are some ideas for toppings/flavours:

Stewed forest fruits (perhaps with a little honey or cinnamon)
Raisins (add these while you're heating the porridge so they get juicy and plump), apple and cinnamon
Cocoa powder and chocolate chips
Banana and honey (add the banana whilst heating if you like it to go a little mushy)
Peanut or almond butter and banana

4 comments:

  1. I love avocado on toast for breakfast! xx http://www.fashionyourseatbelts.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Been wanting to try the chia seed pudding for ages, this recipe looks great x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time you taste it the consistency is kinda odd but I really like it! Using half yoghurt instead of all milk makes it thicker as well which I like :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading ☮