Thursday, 1 January 2015

The Obligatory New Year Post


So long 2014, I'll miss you! We had some great times (a disproportionate number of which seemed to involve a drink in hand). I started a new job at the very end of 2013 and things have been on a more or less upwards trajectory ever since. I know some people disagree with New Year's Resolutions - why is the 1st of January a better day than any other to set goals and ambitions? Goals which the pessimistic (or realistic, depending on how you look at it) amongst us argue will be left unreached and forgotten by February.

There's certainly truth and bitter experience in that argument, but actually I think the 1st of January is a good time to sit back and assess where you are now, and where you want to be this time next year. You have the symbolic element of course, the idea that your past mistakes and misgivings can be swept away by the chime of midnight on the 31st December, ready to begin the New Year as a New You. But, more tangibly, the beginning of the New Year marks a return to the daily grind after the excesses of Christmas, so setting some aims gives you something to focus on and get exited about, to help you through the January blues.

Read on for my 2015 resolutions...

1. Get off my ass
Of all the New Year's Resolutions people set themselves, exercising and getting fit has to be the most clich├ęd. I couldn't tell you the number of times I've resolved to do more exercise and lose weight. However, for once in my life, this time it's not about losing weight - sure, shedding a few pounds would be a great consequence of more exercise, but this is about being healthy and looking after my body. Here's to a fit 2015!

2. Travel more
2014 was a pretty good year for travel - I managed to squeeze in two work trips and a more than decent number of personal holidays. I visited mainland Spain, Ibiza and Gran Canaria, Amsterdam, Turkey and Finnish and Swedish Lapland. Next year I aim to top that - Ibiza (for the 3rd year running) is on the cards, as are Edinburgh and Lisbon, and if you have any destinations to recommend, hit me up!

3. Minimalise my wardrobe
I am a bit of a shopaholic when it comes to clothes and shoes. My wardrobe is full to bursting and I probably only wear about 50% of my clothes on a regular basis. I'm going to clear out my wardrobe, start with a clean slate and build up a streamlined collection of good quality, durable basics, instead of indulging in throwaway trends.

4. Move out
The big one, the main aim for 2015. At the moment I'm still living with my parents as I've been saving up to move out. I've been with my boyfriend for 8 years and it's high time we moved in together. We're looking to move to London, we've both got the itch to live the London life for a few years while we're young! It's a massive step but I am so ready - come at me 2015!

Let me know your New Year's Resolutions and any advice you have for sticking to them!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on your resolutions and I hope 2015 will be an amazing year for you
    xx
    Coco
    http://mllecoconath.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading ☮